Visit for longer than 90 days – documents

If you wish to visit Sweden for more than 90 days, you need to apply for residence permit for a visit or, if you have special grounds, for a ‘D-visa’ (national visa).

Read more about residence permit for a visit and D-visas under ‘Basic facts’ in the menu on the left.

Applying for a residence permit for a visit

You need:

  • The form Application for a visitor’s permit.
  • The form Family details – appendix to your application.
  • A passport or some other valid travel document.
  • A copy of the first page in your passport, and of any extensions and/or name changes in the passport.
  • Copy of your internal Russian passport (page with photograph as well as all additional pages containing an entry)
  • A copy of your ticket for the return journey.
  • Documents showing that you have adequate means of support during your stay in Sweden.
  • And – if you are under 18 or are accompanied by children – the form Application for a visitor’s permit for a child. Note that additional documents are required for applicants under the age of 18. Check under ‘Minors – extra documents’.

The person you will be visiting in Sweden needs the following documents:

  • The form Invitation – If you wish to invite a relative or friend to visit you.
  • Civic registration/family certificate (personbevis) for the purpose of the invitation.

Application for a D-visa

If you want to visit Sweden for more than 90 days (up to one year) you can apply for a D-visa (national visa). This mainly concerns visiting close relatives such as parents, children and spouses, but other categories of applicant may also apply for this kind of visa. The applicant must provide information concerning why he/she is in need of a D-Visa. A D-visa can be granted for multiple entries, and a D-visa gives you the right to move freely within the Schengen area.

The applicant must submit the same set of documents as when applying for a Schengen visa – according to the purpose of the trip – but a different application form is to be filled out. For D-visas there is no requirement that the travel document was issued less than ten years ago, no requirement that the travel document has more than three months of validity when leaving Sweden/the Schengen area, and there is no requirement to have at least two empty pages in the travel document.

Travel insurance is not obligatory when applying for a D-Visa, but the recommendation of the Embassy is to purchase travel insurance.

All applicants must pay the fee for D-Visa.

Latest updated on 21 April 2015.