Basic facts

If you wish to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need a residence permit. It must be ready before you enter Sweden. Other rules apply to citizens of an EU/EEA country other than Sweden.

Close relatives are defined as:

  • Anyone who is, or is to become, a husband/wife, registered partner or common-law spouse (cohabitee)
  • Children under 18 and their parents.

Other relatives may only be granted a residence permit in exceptional cases.

It is the Swedish Migration Agency that considers your right to a residence permit. For a full description of what rules apply, please check the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Swedish Migration Agency website

You will be informed of the decision in your case by your relative in Sweden, if you have authorised him/her to represent you. Otherwise you will be informed of the decision by the Swedish embassy/consulate.

Residence permit card

If you are granted a residence permit, you will receive a residence permit card. The card proves that you have a residence permit.

EU/EEA citizens

Read more about the rules for EU/EEA citizens and about who is counted as a family member on the Swedish Migration Agency website. It is important to note that Swedish citizens are not normally counted as EU citizens in this connection.

Swedish Migration Agency website