Work - EU/EEA citizens

The UK has voted to leave the EU. What the UK leaving the EU means for foreign Citizens and companies in the UK or UK citizens wishing to study, work and live in Sweden won’t be known for certain until negotiations between the UK and the remaining EU countries are completed. According to current regulations the negotiations should be completed within two years from the time they are formally initiated. There will not be any immediate changes for the public. The embassy will continuously update the website when new information is available.

EU citizens working, studying or living in Sweden
If you are a Citizen of an EU or EEA country and are planning to live/work/study in Sweden for one year or more, you are generally required to be registered in the Swedish Population Register. Once registered you will receive a Swedish ID number.
You can either have your own right of residence (uppehållsrätt) or you can have right of residence (uppehållstillstånd) as a family member.
Find out more
Swedish Tax Agency

Look at the website of the Swedish Migration Agency
Also Always check with the Swedish Migration Agency for information further information on working and living in Sweden as an EU citizen.
Swedish Migration Agency

Before you move to Sweden to work, study or live please make sure you know what is  required before you leave. You are very welcome to contact the Embassy for further information.

Telephone: 020 7917 6400. Monday - Friday 9-12 and 2-4 pm.
E mail:

Swedish ID number
Your ID number is a necessary part of daily life in Sweden and  used in all transactions with authorities ,employers, schools, universities, shops, doctors, estate agents, banks etc.
Swedish Tax Agency

Finding a job and working
The website of the Swedish Labour Market Board contains useful information to finding work in Sweden
Swedish Public Employment Service

Recognition of qualifications from other countries
Swedish Council for Higher Education

Swedish Taxes
Information on Swedish taxes can be found on the website of the Swedish Tax Agency:
Swedish Tax Agency

Starting a Business
Business Sweden

General Information
Information on moving to Sweden, learning Swedish, health care, social insurance, education, culture, buying a property, driving in Sweden, taking your car and pet to Sweden and much more can be found on:
Live in Sweden