Visit longer than 90 days

If you wish to visit Sweden for more than 90 days, during a 6 month period you would need to apply for residence permit for a visit or, if you have special grounds, for a ‘D-visa’ (national visa).

These permits can only be submitted at the Embassy during the opening hours of the Visa Section. ( No appointment needed)
See under - Opening hours

Read more about residence permit for a visit and D-visas under ‘Basic facts’ in the menu on the left.

Applying for a residence permit for a visit

You need:

  • The form Application for a visitor’s permit.
  • The form Family details – appendix to your application.
  • A valid passport and UK residency
  • A copy of the first page in your passport, and of any extensions and/or name changes in the passport.
  • Your biometrics will be taken at the Embassy
  • A copy of your ticket for the return journey.
  • And – if you are under 18 or are accompanied by children – the form Application for a visitor’s permit for a child. Note that additional documents are required for applicants under the age of 18. Check under ‘Minors – extra documents’.
  • Valid travel insurance for the whole period.

The person you will be visiting in Sweden needs the following documents:

  • The form Invitation – If you wish to invite a relative or friend to visit you, in original.
  • Civic registration/family certificate (personbevis) for the purpose of the invitation.
  • Documents showing that the visitor has adequate means of support during his/her stay in Sweden.

Application for a D-visa

You need:

  • The form National visa (D-visa) (available in English only)