Residence permit

If you wish to move to Sweden to live with a close relative who is already a Swedish resident, you must have a residence permit of your own.

This applies for instance if you are married or cohabiting or intend to marry or cohabit with someone who is permanently residing in Sweden. It also applies to unmarried children under the age of 18.

Other rules apply if you, or your close relative in Sweden, are citizens of an EU/EEA country (other than Sweden). A close relative may for instance be a husband or wife or a child (a minor).

As of 20 July 2016, a temporary act will limit the possibility for close relatives of persons in need of protection with temporary residence permits to immigrate to Sweden. More detailed information about these regulations is available on the website of the
Swedish Migration Agency

Moreover, the general rule is that anyone living in Sweden should be able to support themselves and their family members who may be granted residence permits. The maintenance requirement will not apply, under certain conditions, to those who have been granted residence permits in Sweden as persons in need of protection. One important requirement is that close relatives must apply for Residence permits within three months of the date on which the person in need of protection was granted a residence permit.  

Applying for a residence permit


You can apply by e application, by post to the Embassy or in person on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 9 - 11 am. Wednesday closed. Information and application forms are available on the website of the Swedish Migration Agency.
Swedish Migration Agency

Make sure you fill in all the particulars on the form. You should also ensure that you supply the correct address to your relative(s) in Sweden.

Please enclose:

Application form No 115 021
2 recent photographs (not older than 6 months)
Copy of passport and UK permit
Personbevis (extract of the population register for reference person in Sweden.
Fee Adults £145, children £72

If you are married or cohabiting or intend to marry or cohabit with someone who is permanently resident in Sweden

Once you have presented your application or made an e-application, you will be summoned to an interview at the Embassy / Consulate. You will need to bring some form of documentation proving your relationship to the person in Sweden, such as letters, photographs or the marriage certificate. You should also bring your passport and two passport photographs.

If you are under 18 years of age, unmarried and your parents are residents in Sweden

You must be able to show that you lived together in your country of origin/domicile before your parent or parents moved to Sweden.

If you are a parent or some other close relative of a person who is now resident in Sweden

In exceptional cases, other relatives may qualify for residence permits by reason of family ties. You must be able to show that you lived together with your relative immediately prior to his/her move to Sweden and that you are dependent on that person in such a way that it is difficult for you to live apart. This means that you must be financially, socially or emotionally dependent on the relative who lives in Sweden.

A relative of a refugee or of a person who has been granted asylum for some other reason can, in exceptional cases, be granted a Swedish residence permit if the two have had a very close relationship, even if they have not lived together in their former country of domicile.

What does it cost to apply?

You may be required to pay an application fee. If your application is denied, the fee will not be refunded. You can read about the fees In a special information sheet.

Who decides my case?

The Embassy sends your application to the Migration Agency in Sweden for decision. The Embassy will aslo notify you of the decision of the Migration Agency.

The residence permit must be entered in your passport before your arrival in Sweden. You cannot travel to Sweden and wait for a decision there.

How long will I have to wait for a decision?

It can take a long time for a decision to be reached.

Once you have presented your application, the Embassy will summon you for a personal interview.

When the interview has taken place, the Embassy forwards your application to the Migration Agency in Sweden for a decision. This may take up to four weeks. The Migration Board then makes additional enquiries, either by inviting the relative in Sweden to a personal interview or by sending him/her a questionnaire by post. The questions must be answered in writing and sent back to the Migration Agency.

How long is the permit valid?

If you lived together with your relative in your country of origin/domicile, the Migration Agency will normally grant you a permanent residence permit (PUT). This entitles you to live in Sweden for as long as you like.

If you did not live with your relative in your country of origin/domicile but intend to set up home together on your arrival here, the Migration Agency will normally grant you a permit for 12 months (in some cases for six months). You then have to apply for an extension to your permit. If you are still living together, your permit will be extended for a further 12 months (or six months).

If you are of working age, you will automatically be granted a work permit as well.

When you have had a limited residence permit for two years and your relationship is still intact, you will be granted a permanent residence permit.