EU Family Visa

Family members of EU/EEA nationals (spouses and dependants) can apply for an EU- family visa.        

You would need to submit the following documents:

  • Schengen application form
  • Marriage Certificate or full Birth Certificate (if not from UK - officially translated)
  • Co-habitants must show proof of relationship for longer than one year ( council tax, joint bank account etc. )
  • Your passport - not older than 10 years.
  • The EU citizen's original passport.
  • A set of copies of the documents
  • Proof of joint travel for applicants depending on British nationals ( confirmed return travel tickets mentioning both applicant's and Britsh national family member's names and travel dates to and from the Schengen area)

(If your spouse is a Swedish citizen and living in Sweden you would need to apply for a visa under - "Visiting family of friends" and pay a normal visa fee. See the menu on the left hand side of the page.)

British family members travelling alone will have to apply under Tourist/Family-Friend Visit/Business visa category and pay the applicable visa fees.

Family members of non British EU/EEA nationals (Spouses of British nationals apply on national rules in the UK and must apply for a visa)

According to the EU Directive 38/2004 (Art. 10) family members of non British EEA nationals who are in possession of a British "Residence Card of a family member of an EEA national" or "Permanent Residence Card" DO NOT need a visa for visits up to 90 days in the Schengen area if you are joining or travelling with the EU national.
See example of sticker
British Residence Card EEA 130 KB