Study in Sweden

If you are planning to study in Sweden, the website is your one stop information centre.

The website contains general information on the many opportunities open to international students as well as admission procedures and other practical details.

EU Citizens

As an EU citizen you have the right to work, study or live in Sweden without a residence permit.You also have the right to start and operate a private business.

If you can support yourself, you automatically have right of residence in Sweden and do
not need to contact the Swedish Migration Board.

You must register your  - right of residence - with the Swedish Tax Agency within 90 days of arrival in Sweden.

 More information on the website of the
Swedish Tax Agency
Living in Sweden

Non Eu Citizens see information further down the page.

The Study in Sweden service is designed for students at all levels. It provides information on undergraduate courses, Master´s programmes and opportunities for researchers as well as scholarships, living in Sweden and learning Swedish.
Study in Sweden

Information on studying at one of Stockholm's 24 universities:
Study in Stockholm

Recognition of qualifications from other countries:
Swedish Council for Higher Education

Non EU citizens

You can apply for student residence permits online or in person at the Embassy in London on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
between 9 - 11 am (drop in). For comprehensive information on how to apply and application forms please see the website of the Swedish Migration Board.
Swedish Migration Agency
Online application - visiting students

Please note when you fill in the application:

The UK, Ireland and Denmark are not covered by the rules of long-term residents - so you must tick - NO - in the box when answering the question
'' Do you have a long-term resident status in an EU - country?''

Embassy of Sweden
Visa Section
11 Montagu Place
London W1H 2AL
E mail:
Telephone: Tuesday and Thursday from 2 - 3 pm on 020 7917 6418