Notification of Swedish citizenship
For a child born abroad before 1 April 2015, to a Swedish father and a foreign mother, who are not married to each other, a Notification has to be submitted in order to obtain Swedish nationality for the child.
- The Notification may be submitted to the Embassy or a Consulate and must be handed in before the child reaches the age of 18. The Notification is then forwarded to the Swedish Migration Board for decision.
- Completed application form (in Swedish).
- The Birth Certificate of the child showing both parents’ names.
- The father’s valid Swedish passport or National ID-card. (Please bring the mother's passport as well)
- The fee SEK 175, equivalent to £ 16.
All documents must submitted in original
The processing time is usually several months.
Once Swedish citizenship has been granted, the child must have a Swedish ID number before he/she can apply for a passport.
Find out more on
Swedish ID-number and registration of name
We receive applications at the Embassy on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 2-4 pm. If you apply at a Consulate please check opening times directly the Consulate