Development Cooperation with Ukraine
Sweden has supported the Ukraine reform agenda since 1995. During the 2014-2020 Strategy’s period, the overall objective of the Swedish reform cooperation with Ukraine is: i) enhanced economic integration with the EU and development of market economy; ii) strengthened democracy, greater respect for human rights and more fully developed state under the rule of law; iii) a better environment, reduced climate impact and enhanced resilience to environmental impact and climate change. Between 2014-2020 Sweden will have allocated EUR 175 mln for various programmes and projects.
Main areas of cooperation and expected results
The cooperation in Ukraine is focused in 3 main areas: 1) economic integration and market economy, 2) democratic governance and human rights and 3) natural resources and environment.
The cooperation in Ukraine is expected to result in the following:
- Enhanced economic integration with the EU and development of market economy;
- Strengthened democracy, greater respect for human rights and a more fully developed state under the rule of law;
- Focusing on strengthened public administration and judicial systems;
- Focusing on increased enjoyment of human rights and greater opportunities to exercise democratic influence;
- A better environment, reduced climate impact and enhanced resilience to environmental impact and climate change.
Our main partners:
- Swedish Ukrainian twinning and technical assistance, with the aim of building institutional capacity
- Ukrainian civil society organizations
- International nongovernmental organizations, such as National Democratic Institute, East Europe Foundation and Global Action Plan
- Intergovernmental organizations, such as Council of Europe and the OECD
- Development banks (EBRD, The World Bank, NEFCO, EIB) through investment grants and technical assistance.
For more information about current projects, please see the Project list document to the right of this text.