Sida is looking for a full time Policy Advisor for a two years period, with possibilities for extension.
Sida (The Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency) has entered into an agreement with the EU Delegation in Kyiv to implement an EU decentralisation programme called Ukraine Local Empowerment, Accountability and Development (U-LEAD) 2016-2020. The programme has two components, one to be implemented by the German GIZ and the other by Sida called Administrative Service Centres and Awareness Raising of Citizens on Local Self-Governance. The focus in Sida’s component will be setting up efficient service centres and raising public awareness in some 400 local authorities (hromadas).
Sida is a Swedish governmental agency responsible for development cooperation worldwide. In Ukraine, Sida is represented by the Embassy of Sweden in Kyiv. For the implementation of the U-LEAD programme, a joint project office has been set up by Sida together with the GIZ.
Duties and responsibilities
The Policy Advisor will be responsible for:
- Monitoring reforms in Ukraine and continuously identifying situations and areas where further work/reforms are required in relation to delivery of administrative services on local level, including gaps in existing processes for specific administrative services;
- support to further review, promote and draft in writing policy and legal reforms, including processes to enable digital access to data and institutional set-up, in close cooperation with EU and other actors;
- consultations in Ukraine on synergies with other national and local initiatives, contextual developments, and cooperation with other projects and programmes (other donors/projects, communities, government officials);
- provision of advisory support to Sida (Kyiv and Stockholm) on issues including but not limited to legislation and best practices in the sphere of provision of administrative services in Ukraine, including advisory support regarding physical and institutional establishment of units for provision of administrative services (traditional “stationary” centres, mobile units, remote workplaces that cooperate with stationary centres);
- monitoring progress of subcontractors and partners to Sida within the project to identify gaps in the legislative and policy framework and areas for improvement, advice to subcontractors and partners on progress in the area of policy and legal reform of relevance for the project;
- monitoring the integration of cross-cutting core values – transparency, gender equality and sustainable development – in the project implementation and, when required, advise on activities to strengthening the integration of these values;
- monitoring the development of citizen participation and awareness of service delivery in the project partner communities;
- proposing areas for contracting short term experts in specific fields of administrative service provision in Ukraine, and managing the performance of the contracted experts.
- University degree, minimum Master level, in social/political science, economics, business administration, management, economics, law, development studies or similar
- A minimum of ten years work experience in the sphere of public service delivery, of which at least three years in international development cooperation
- Fluency in oral and written English and Ukrainian
- Good administrative skills, including basic computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- Good communication skills, including use of social media
- Knowledge about EU’s development cooperation
The Policy Advisor shall be self-motivated, open-minded, stress tolerant and possess strong interpersonal skills. A genuine interest in development issues is regarded a pre-requisite. The work requires ability to work with governmental, non-governmental and private sector actors.
Terms and conditions
The Policy Advisor will be employed by Sida, work in the Sida project office for U-LEAD in Kiev and report to the Sida Programme Manager in the same office, and will as well have direct contact with Sida Headquarters and the Embassy of Sweden in Kiev. An individual salary system is applied.
Please send a CV together with a cover letter in English, in which you briefly describe your motives for applying for the vacant position and how you meet the requirements, to the following e-mail address: email@example.com. Indicate ‘Policy Advisor vacancy – (your name)’ in the subject line. To be considered, your application should be submitted by the 10th of July 2017.
For information about Sida: www.sida.se