Residence permit for studies in Sweden

If you are planning to study in Sweden for a period longer than three months, you have to have a residence permit. It is highly recommended that you apply on-line directly to the Swedish Migration Agency who will take the decision. For a stay less than three months, no residence permit is required. However, you must have a visa in order to enter Sweden.

All information needed in order to apply for a residence permit for studies for students and accompanying persons can be found on the Migration Agency website.

In order for you to get a decision in time to start your course, it is essential that you apply for a residence permit immediately following your notification of enrolment. A residence permit for study purposes is temporary. Even if your stay has lasted for several years, you will not normally be allowed to reside in Sweden after you have completed your studies.