Basic facts

If you want to visit Sweden and you are not a citizen of the EU/EEA, you may need a visa. A visa gives you permission to enter and stay in Sweden for a short period of time - maximum 90 days. It is valid throughout the Schengen area, but you apply to the country that is the main destination and purpose for the journey.      

Note that if you are planning to stay longer than 90 days, you need to apply for a visitor's permit. You must apply for the whole period initially, at the Embassy.

When signing your visa application, you undertake to leave the Schengen territory before the expiry of the visa. Therefore, stating that you plan to stay for maximum 90 days, then apply to prolong the stay without special reasons, might lead to rejection of future visa application.


Visas can be granted for such purposes as:

  • Business visits
  • Participation in cultural or sports events
  • Visits to relatives and friends
  • Tourism.

You can submit your application at the earliest three months before your planned visit. Apply as far in advance as possible, especially during the peak season. Usually, you get a decision within two weeks.

A visa can be granted for a maximum of 90 days within a 180 day period. How many days you are allowed to stay in the Schengen area, and for how long altogether, is stated on the permit sticker in your travel document. Please note that the days you are allowed to stay in the Schengen area may not correspond exactly with the dates of validity.

If you need to travel to Sweden frequently, you may be eligable for a longer visa with multie entries. You can still only stay in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days within each 180 day period.

A visa does not automatically mean you can enter the Schengen area. So it is a good idea to bring along copies of the documents you submitted when applying for a visa. Border controls may result in you being denied entry.

Please beadvised that applying for a visa of maximum 90 days and then, whilst still being in Sweden, applying for a prolongation of your stay may affect your chances of obtaining a new visa. When signing a visa application form you assume the responsibility to leave the Schengen area before the visa expires. Failure to do so may lead to future applications being rejected.

It is the embassy or consulate that decides whether you are to be granted a visa. In certain cases, the application may be referred to the Swedish Migration Board for a decision.

Read more about visa applications in the menu on the left.

Visits longer than 90 days

If you know when applying that you will need to stay in Sweden for more than 90 days, you need to apply for a visitor's permit.

An application can be handed in at the Swedish Embassy in Jakarta.

 These applications are decided by the Migration Agency. You can read more about the requirements and how to apply on their website or under visit for longer than 90 days.