General information

If you wish to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need a residence permit. It must be ready before you enter Sweden. Other rules apply to citizens of an EU/EEA country other than Sweden.

It is the Swedish Migration Agency that considers your right to a residence permit. For a full description of what rules apply, please check the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Swedish Migration Agency website

You will be informed of the decision in your case by your relative in Sweden, if you have authorised him/her to represent you. Otherwise you will be informed of the decision by the Swedish embassy/consulate. If you have applied online you can also be informed by e-mail.

Residence permit card

If you are granted a residence permit, you will receive a residence permit card. This card is proof that you have a residence permit. Read more under ‘How to apply’ to find out how you arrange for the card.

EU/EEA citizens

Special rules apply for EU/EEA citizens and about who is counted as a family member on the Swedish Migration Agency website.