Basic facts

If you wish to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need a residence permit. It must be ready before you enter Sweden. Other rules apply to citizens of an EU/EEA country other than Sweden.

Close relatives are defined as:

  • Anyone who is, or is to become, a husband/wife, registered partner or common-law spouse (cohabitee)
  • Children under 18 and their parents.

Other relatives may only be granted a residence permit in exceptional cases.

It is the Swedish Migration Agency that considers your right to a residence permit. For a full description of what rules apply, please check the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Swedish Migration Agency website

On the website of the Swedish Migration Agency you can check the status of your application. You can check the following: student permit, work permit, residence permit, residence card, passport, Swedish citizenship and asylum application.

Check your application

You will be informed of the decision in your case by your relative in Sweden, if you have authorised him/her to represent you, by giving him/her a power of attorney. You will have the option to sign one when you come for an interview. Otherwise you will be informed of the decision by the Swedish consulate.

Residence permit card

If you are granted a residence permit, you will receive a residence permit card. This card is proof that you have a residence permit. Read more under ‘How to apply’ to find out how you arrange for the card.

EU/EEA citizens

Briefly, the following applies if you wish to move to Sweden to live with a relative, if you and/or your relative are citizens of the EU/EEA. It is important to note that Swedish citizens are not normally counted as EU citizens in this connection.

  • If your relative is not an EU/EEA citizen, you yourself may need a residence permit, and you apply for one from the Swedish Migration Board after your arrival.
  • If you are not an EU/EEA citizen but your relative is (although not a Swedish citizen), it may be enough simply to apply for a residence permit card from the Swedish Migration Board. However, check who is counted as a relative in this connection. If you need a visa, you must have applied for one before coming to Sweden. An application for a residence permit card, too, may be submitted to the consulate.