Applying for a residence permit for a visit

If you wish to visit Sweden for more than 90 days, you need to apply for residence permit for a visit.

Applying for a residence permit for a visit

You have to bring all the required documents to the consulate general, together with two completed and signed application forms, as well as a photocopy of ALL submitted documents.

You must have:

  • Application form no 165011 Application for a visitor’s permit, completed and signed by the applicant.
  • Application form no 239011 Family details – appendix to your application, completed and signed by the applicant.
  • A photocopy of the first page in your passport, and of any extensions and/or name changes in the passport.
  • A photocopy of your ticket for the return journey (we advise you to delay payment until your visa has been granted).
  • Proof of solvency, e.g. in the form of a bank account statement or a wage specification for the last three months. If the person who is inviting you to Sweden will be paying for your support, you must show in the same way that he/she has enough money to do so. 
  • And – if you are under 18 or are accompanied by children – you should use form no 167011, Application for a visitor’s permit for a child. The application forms should be signed by the parent/guardian of the child. Note that additional documents are required for applicants under the age of 18. See below.
  • A notarized birth or kinship certificate.
  • If the child’s parents are divorced, you must submit a notarized divorce certificate, showing who has got the custody of the child.
  • A notarized written consent from the child’s custodian, if he/she is staying in Hong Kong. If there is only one custodian, you must submit a notarized document showing that this is the case.

The parent/legal guardian, or a friend/relative with a power of attorney from one of the parents/legal guardians, must accompany the minor when submitting the application.

The person you will be visiting in Sweden needs to provide you with the following documents:

  • Form no 241011 Invitation – If you wish to invite a relative or friend to visit you. You must submit the original form and it must be completed and signed by the relative in Sweden wishing to invite you.
  • A photocopy of the inviter’s Civic registration/family certificate (familjebevis).
  • A photocopy of the identity page of the inviter’s passport.