Required documents

If you wish to apply for a residence permit to study in Sweden, you need the documents below.

If you will be studying at a university or college, you can apply online. In that case, you attach the documents electronically.

If you apply on a paper form, you have to bring all the requisite documents to the consulate, together with the completed application form described below.

Pupil exchange

In the case of exchange pupils, other rules and documents apply.

Read more on the page ‘Pupil exhange’ on the Swedish Migration Agency website

Documents required by all students

You need:

  • If you are not applying online, form no. 105031, Application for residence permit for students and doctoral students.
  • Copies of the pages in your passports showing your personal data and the validity of the passport.
  • Statement of admission or letter of acceptance showing that you have been admitted to a fulltime course of studies.
  • A statement of account from your bank confirming that you have money of your own to support yourself for the duration of your studies in Sweden (The minimum required amount is SEK 7,974 per month). The statement of account that you attach with the application should be dated at the time of your application and be translated into English.
    IMPORTANT ! Make sure that the money is in YOUR name and that the statement SHOWS your name and SHOWS the account balance.


  • A document issued in your name showing that you have received a scholarship or a similar means of support (e.g. a student grant) and describing both the monthly sum and the period during which you will receive the money.


  • A document showing that you have received a training grant (applies to doctoral students) or a studentship, with details of the amount(s) and the period concerned.

Students at university or university college

If you wish to study at university or university college, you need:

  • The documents required by all applicants (see above)
  • A copy of the document showing that you have comprehensive health insurance valid in Sweden (if you will be studying for less than a year). If you are covered by insurance from the university or university college concerned (e.g. Student-In), you must send a certificate showing this.
    You must be the policy holder and your name must be indicated on the policy. It must be paid in full and cover the duration of the stay in Sweden. Payment month by month is not accepted. The insured package must be clearly shown.

Read more on the page ‘Studying at universities or university colleges’ on the Swedish Migration Agency website

Students at folk high school and upper secondary school

If you wish to study at a folk high school or an upper secondary school, you need:

  • The documents required by all applicants (see above)

Other studies

If you wish to pursue a course that is not associated with a university, a university college, an upper secondary school or a folk high school, you need:

  • The documents required by all applicants (see above)

Documents required by your accompanying family

If a family member would like to apply as a co-applicant, he/she can either apply electronically to the Migration Agency at the same time as you or, if not applying at the same time as you, submit the application to the Consulate. Family members need:

  • If you are using a paper form, or if the family will be applying at a later date, you should use form no. 135011, Application for co-applicants to students/doctoral students.
  • Copies of the pages in the passport that show your identity, your citizenship and the passport’s period of validity.
  • Documents that confirm your kinship. Documents issued by public authorities in your country of origin are to be submitted together with a translation by an authorised translation agency (applicable to non-english documents).
  • A document such as a statement of account from a bank proving that the family member has sufficient means of support (in English). Minimum required amount is SEK 8300 per month.