Applying for a residence permit to study in Sweden

Please read all information carefully! If you still need to contact us: Migration Hotline: 2912 8807, weekdays 08:30 - 09:30 or email

If you will be studying in Sweden for more than three months and you are not an EU citizen, you need a residence permit.

If you will be studying for less than three months, you may need a visa instead.

List of countries whose citizens need a visa

The quickest and easiest way of applying for a residence permit to study at universities and colleges in Sweden is to apply online. Online applications go directly to the Swedish Migration Agency and are given priority.

Online application on the Swedish Migration Agency website

IMPORTANT! Before you submit your online application, make sure you have the correct documents in the correct format, ready to attach to your application. You find the information in the menu to the left.

If you cannot or do not want to apply online, or wish to study elsewhere than at university or college, you present the application documents at the Swedish Consulate in person instead.

Where to hand in your application

Residents of Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan should apply at the Consulate General of Sweden in Hong Kong.

Residents of Shanghai, Jiangsu, Anhui and Zhejiang shall apply at the Consulate General of Sweden in Shanghai.

Residents of all other provinces shall apply at the Swedish Embassy in Beijing.

Rules and required documents 

To find out which rules apply, which documents are required and how you apply, look in the menu on the left.

If you are interested in studying at university/college level in Sweden, you can find a full range of information on the Study in Sweden website.

Study in Sweden

Check your application

On the Swedish Migration Agency's website you can check the status of your application. The following types of permits can be checked: student permits, work permits, residence permits, residence cards, and passports.

Check your application