How to apply if you live in Malawi

People applying for a residence permit to study at a university or college in Sweden should apply online on the Swedish Migration Board website.  

The Swedish Migration Board website 

If you cannot or do not want to apply online, you can present an application for a residence permit on a paper form to the Swedish Embassy in Harare. You do not need an appointment.

 You can find the address under ‘Contact’ in the menu on the left. 

To find out which rules apply, which documents are required and how you go about applying for a permit, read the other embassy website pages in the menu on the left.

Resident permit card

If you have been granted a residence permit and need a visa to enter Sweden, which is the case for citizens of Malawi, you must arrange for the card before your departure. This means you visit the Swedish Embassy in Harare to provide your biometric data (photographing, fingerprints and signature). You make an appointment to provide this data by sending an e-mail to or telephoning the embassy. 

It can take up to four weeks for the residence permit card to be prepared and delivered to the Embassy. Once the card has arrived there, the Embassy will send it to the Norwegian Embassy in Lilongwe, where you can collect it. You need to pay a courier fee. You can find the address under ‘Contact’ in the menu on the left.


Read more under ‘Fees’ in the menu on the left to learn which fees apply. If you apply online, you pay electronically when applying.  If you apply at the Swedish Embassy in Harare you also have to pay the fee there.