The Embassy in Harare was chosen ahead of 100 missions, on the following justification:
"The Swedish Embassy in Harare has walked the talk. It has had a clear focus on environment and climate in development cooperation, Sweden promotion and political dialogue - which is also reflected in the Swedish Residence's new climate smart garden.
The garden has been adapted to an increasingly dry climate, provides organically cultivated vegetables to guests and staff and strengthens the biological diversity. The actual result, which can be both seen and tasted, has already attracted great interest and strengthens Sweden's profile as an innovative and progressive actor".
About the Green Embassy Award
The Green Embassy Award was inspired by Sweden's Ministry of Foreign Affairs Property Department and the Swedish Property Board to inspire missions abroad. The criteria for getting the price are:
• That the Embassy has excelled in its environmental work
• That the Embassy has an engaged and dedicated Head of Mission
• That all staff at the Embassy are involved
• That the Embassy acts as a local role model within the field of environment
• That the Embassy's environmental activities have gained local interest and attention
More pictures and text on the new garden can be found in the link to the right (in Swedish).