Visiting relatives and friends – extra documents

If you apply for a visa to visit relatives and friends, you need the documents listed below.

The forms must be completed either in Swedish or in English. Documents issued by the authorities in your country of origin must be legalized and  submitted together with a translation in Swedish or English by an authorised translator.

You must have the documents required by all visa applicants. Read more under ‘Required documents’.

You must also provide:

  • Questionnaire friends and family
  • Copy of birth certificate
  • Copy of marriage or divorce certificate (if applicable)
  • Copy of Household Registration 
  • Original certificate of employment or equivalent (if applicable) - stating position, salary and length of employment. You should also provide your payslips for the last three months and a statement from the employer that the applicant for leave is granted leave.
  • If you are a company owner or self employed: present a copy of your company registration, and tax returns of the company from the past three months.
  • If you are a student: present a certification of enrolment from university/school. If the applicant is travelling during a school holiday, a certifcate of enrolment is to be submitted to prove that the applicant is enrolled for the next school year/semester.
  • If you are retired: present pension statements for the last three months.
  • If you are visiting relatives: proof of familial relationship - documentation showing the relationship between the applicant and your referent is required (e.g. copy of household registration or birth certificate).
  • Proof that shows that you and the referent have met and keep in touch (e.g. photos, chat logs, e-mails etc.).

Documentation from the referent in Sweden (must not be older than 3 months)

You must also attach documents concerning the relative or friend you plan to visit in Sweden.

You must have:

  • Original Invitation Form (no. 241011) - must be in original and completed and signed by the referent in Sweden.
  • Copy of the referent's Personbevis - civic registration from the Swedish Tax Agency
  • Copy of the referent's passport - along with copies of pages with entry/exit stamps to Vietnam (if applicable)
  • If the referent is not a Swedish Citizen: Copy of his/her Residence Permit in Sweden
  • If the referent person is supporting you during your stay: present documents showing sufficient funds (pay slips, pension statement or statement of bank account for the past three months, etc.)

* The Embassy reserves itself the right to ask for supplementary documents if needed.