Second grant from GPE to further support education in Zanzibar
The Global Partnership for Education (GPE), have approved 5.7 MUSD to be implemented by the Ministry of Education and Vocational Training in Zanzibar. The aim with the support is to ensure that more children start primary school at the right age with 2 years of pre-primary education, improving learning quality and inclusive education is given extra focus.
GPE is a multi-stakeholder partnership and funding platform that aims to strengthen education systems in developing countries in order to dramatically increase the number of children who are in school and learning. On Zanzibar, Sweden is the Grant Agent, meaning we support and follow up the implementation of the GPE funds. UNICEF is the coordinating agency responsible for facilitating the coordination of all the partners working with education in Zanzibar (the local education group) under the leadership of the Government.
This second grant from GPE has been developed by the government of Zanzibar according to the priorities in the Zanzibar Education Sector Development Plan for the next years. A special focus will be on children with special needs particularly rural poor and children with physical and learning to improve access at all levels of pre-primary, basic and secondary education.
Expected results include:
- Increased net enrolment rate in standard 1 for children having received 2 years of pre-primary education.
- Strengthen teaching and learning quality as well as improving learning outcomes through parenting and community engagement.
- Improve the inclusive education by providing resources to children with special needs.
- Capacity will continue to be strengthened to improve the efficiency and follow up such as Quality assurance and monitoring
- It is anticipated that approximately 35,000 children will be the primary beneficiaries along with teachers, parents and communities.