Online application – moving to someone in Sweden

As of 7 December, 2011, a new online service for family members applying for permits in Sweden is available at all Swedish missions abroad. The new service, administered by the Swedish Migration Agency, will simplify the entire application process.

The transfer of documents will be done electronically, which will reduce the processing time and simplify handling at missions abroad.

The quickest and easiest way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online over the Internet. An online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency and is given priority.

Who can use the electronic application system?

In order to be able to use the online application, you must:

  • be able to claim connections on the basis of a newly-formed relationship, an established relationship or being of a joint household
  • be at least 18 years old and possess a valid national passport.

The reference person must:

  • be a Swedish citizen or have been granted a permanent residence permit in Sweden be at least 18 years of age.

How to apply

In order to apply electronically, you need to:

  • complete the application form
  • attache all of the necessary documents
  • pay the application fee via the internet and
  • send the application electronically to the Swedish Migration Agency.

When the Migration Agency receives the application, it sends an e-mail to the reference person in Sweden containing instructions on how he or she should log in and respond to a questionnaire.

The Migration Agency begins the process when it receives the application and the reference person's completed questionnaire.

  • The Migration Agency then invites you to book an appointment for an interview at the nearest Swedish mission abroad.
  • The Embassy/Consulate General checks the documents and makes a report.
  • Photographs and fingerprints are also taken during the visit, which are needed for the residence permit card.
  • The mission abroad then sends the details to be handled by the Swedish Migration Agency, which will make the decision.