Applying for a residence permit to study in Sweden

If you will be studying in Sweden for more than three months and you are not an EU citizen, you need a residence permit.

If you will be studying for less than three months, you may need a visa instead.

List of countries whose citizens need a visa

The quickest and easiest way of applying for a residence permit to study at universities and colleges in Sweden is to apply online. Online applications go directly to the Swedish Migration Agency and are given priority.

Online application on the Swedish Migration Agency website

If you cannot or do not wish to apply online, or plan to study elsewhere than at university or college, you present the application documents at the embassy/consulate in person instead.

> Read more on how to apply on a paper form

Rules and required documents

To find out which rules apply, which documents are required and how you apply, look in the menu on the left.

If you are interested in studying at university/college level in Sweden, you can find a full range of information on the Study in Sweden website.

Study in Sweden

Information about your application

If you would like to see if the Migration Agency has received your application, or if a decision has been made,

> Check your application

How long does it take to get a decision from the Swedish Migration Agency?

> Time to a decision