FAQs on Sweden

On this page you will find answers to questions that Embassy receives frequently.

How to obtain a police clearance from the Swedish Police Authority?

You can download a form in English or in Swedish from the website of the Swedish National Police Board (Rikspolisstyrelsen), www.police.se or contact the Embassy for a copy of the form.

> Download the form

This application is sent in directly to the National Police Board in Sweden. Instructions on how to pay the fee is on the form. When the application has been granted, a police clearance will be send directly to your address with registered mail.

What can I bring or send to Sweden?

Please see the website of the Swedish Customs Authority (Tullverket):

> Swedish Customs Authority

Information on import of medicinal products can be found on the website of the Medical Products Agency (Läkemedelsverket):

> Medical Products Agency

Bringing pets to Sweden

New rules of on the importation of pets can be found on the Swedish Board of Agriculture's website (Jordbruksverket):

> Swedish Board of Agriculture

How can I trace my Swedish ancestors?

There are different ways of finding information on your Swedish ancestors. Here are some useful websites:

> The Swedish telephone directory
The whitepages on the Internet

> Hitta.se

> The House of Emigrants
The House of Emigrants (built in 1968) includes an archive, library, museum, and research center on the Emigration period as well as the Immigration in nowadays Sweden.

Swedish Roots
– an organisation for the descendants of the emigrants with links to family history resources

> The National Archives
Search in the National Archives' digital archives, indexes and databases. You can also search for information about archives and archival institutions in Sweden.

> Swedish Church Records online

> National Library of Australia

> Ancestry.com website


Steinar Johansen
40 Hillock Street
Coorparoo Qld 4151

E-mail: steinarau@gmail.com
Website http://www.jspl.com.au/
Tel: 0412 383 171

Erica Harmmarlund (family research in Sweden);
E-mail: ericahammarlund@hotmail.com
Tel: 0412 298 558

How many Swedes are living/residing in Australia?

> Census 2011

More information in the Embassy's report from 2014 in the attached document 'Svenskar i Australien och Nya Zeeland' (in Swedish)