Residence rights as EU citizen

An EU/EEA citizen who is an employee, self-employed person, a provider or recipient of services, a student or a person who has sufficient funds to support himself/herself, has a right to reside in Sweden.

Right to reside instead of Residence permit

The term "right to reside" means that an EU/EEA citizen and his or her family members are permitted to stay in Sweden for more than three months without a residence permit.

If you can support yourself, you automatically have right of residence and do not need to contact the Swedish Migration Board.

What happens on entering the country?

On entering Sweden you need to show a valid passport or an identity card stating your nationality. As an EU-citizen you are entitled to begin working immediately. However, if you are going to start a private business, you have to submit a tax and fee registration to  the Swedish Tax Agency and you may need to register your company with  the Swedish Companies Registration Office before beginning your company operations.

You can move to Sweden without applying for any permit, but if you have family who are citizens of a country outside of the EU, they need to apply for a residence card. In order for your family to be granted residence cards you must be able to demonstrate that you can support yourself in Sweden through work, studies or with sufficient means.

Permits for family members of EU citizens

If you have right of residence in Sweden, this includes your family. This means that they too have a right to live and work in Sweden without permits. If you are staying in Sweden for less than three months, they do not need to register with the Swedish Migration Board. Swedes are normally not considered EU citizens in this context, but Swedes who have recently lived in another EU country can be included in the group of people to whom the rules for right of residence apply. To register please visit the webpage of Swedish Migration Board.

Permanent right of residence

When you have been in Sweden legally and with a right of residence for five years without a break, you have permanent right of residence. If you would like a permanent residence certificate you can apply to the Migration Board.