General information

The following authorities can be of use if planning to reside in Sweden for any lengthier amount of time:


  • Försäkringskassan (The Swedish Social Insurance Agency) administers social insurances and benefits such as finan­cial protection for families and children, for persons with a disability and in connection with work injury, illness and old age. The system covers anyone that lives or works in Sweden. Through the Swedish membership in the European Union, you may also be eligible for social insurance benefits in other EU member states if you or anyone in your family resides or works in any other EU member states.
  • If you move to Sweden from abroad and plan to stay here for more than a year, you need to become registered. To do so you must notify Skatteverket (The Swedish Tax Agency). When becoming registered one will be included in The Swedish Social Insurance Agency and as such there is no longer a requirement to have insurance from ones homecountry.