Applying for a passport at a Swedish mission abroad

Ordinary passports and national ID-cards

You cannot apply for an ordinary Swedish passport or ID-card at the Consular Service Office in Brussels, only for an emergency passport. If you need to apply for an ordinary Swedish passport, please contact the Swedish Police  or a Swedish Embassy. Further details on Sweden Abroad. It is possible to collect your national ID-card or ordinary passport at the Consular Service Office in Brussels. The fee for collecting an ordinary passport is 150 SEK. Please state at the time for application where the passport will be collected.

Emergency passports

If you have lost your passport, if it has expired or if your passport is at an embassy in order to get a visa issued, you can apply for an emergency passport at the Consular Service Office in Brussels, located at: 3, rue du Luxembourg, 1000 Brussels. The emergency passport is usually issued for travel directly to Sweden or to your country of residence and is valid for a limited time.

As a rule, ordinary passports will be recalled and cancelled when an emergency passport is issued.

You will need the following:

  • A completed passport application (the form is available at the consulate).
  • Two identical photographs, 35x45 mm, not more than six months old at the time of application. The face should appear in the photo with a neutral expression and against a light, shadow-free background.
  • The old passport, if it has expired, or a photocopy of the passport (if possible) if it has been lost.
  • A police report in case the passport has been stolen and a form about the loss, available at the consulate ("Förlustanmälan").
  • In case the passport is handed over to an embassy in order to have a visa issued, you need a copy of the receipt from the embassy in question.
  • A completed citizenship verification form, available at the consulate ("Prövning av svenskt medborgarskap").
  • Proof of identity as valid Swedish passport or National ID-card, valid Swedish drivers licence, valid identity card issued by a Swedish authority or signed confirmation of identity available at the consulate ("Försäkran identitet").
  • Your travel itinerary, please bring a print-out of the flight/train-tickets.

For minors, in addition to the above, the following are also required:

A completed form, no more than one month old, giving the consent of the parents/guardians, signed by both parents/guardians, with both signatures witnessed. If the parents/guardians are in different places, they can complete one form each. The form is available at the consulate and can also be downloaded from the Swedish Police website.

  • If the child has only one parent/guardian, this must be proved.
  • If the child was born abroad, a birth certificate showing both parents' names must be included.
  • If only the father is a Swedish citizen, and the child was born before 1 April 2015, a marriage certificate or, if the parents are not married, a decision on Swedish citizenship for the child from the Migration Agency has to be produced.
  • Copies of both parents' passports/valid photo ID.
  • Minors have to be accompanied by at least one parent/guardian when the application is made. A parent/guardian may collect a passport for a child under the age of 18 and must then be able to prove the identity (valid passport or photo ID).

All documents have to be presented in original.

The application fee for an emergency passport is SEK 1 600, in local currency. The fee must be paid when the application is submitted.

Coordination number for children born abroad who have never previously had a passport and who have never been resident or registered in Sweden

Children born abroad who have never been residents in Sweden or registered in the Swedish population register need a coordination number before a passport can be issued. Coordination numbers are issued by the Swedish Tax Agency upon application by the passport authority, usually at the same time as the application for the first passport is made. It usually takes about one month to obtain a coordination number.

Children born after 1 April 2015 will automatically become Swedish citizens if either of the parents holds a Swedish citizenship.

A child born before 1 April 2015 automatically becomes a Swedish citizen if its mother is a Swedish citizen or if the father is a Swedish citizen and the parents were married at the time of the child's birth. A child also becomes a Swedish citizen if/when the parents get married after the child's birth, provided that the father can produce evidence that he was a Swedish citizen when the child was born. For a child, born before 1 April 2015, with a foreign mother and a Swedish father who are not married, a notification of Swedish citizenship submitted to the Swedish Migration Agency is required in order to obtain a Swedish citizenship. Read more on the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

In order to apply for a coordination number, the following documents are required:

  • A birth certificate showing both parents' names
  • A certificate of pregnancy or a birth record signed by the midwife/doctor/hospital where the child was born
  • A passport copy/valid photo ID for both parents
  • The parents' marriage certificate, if they are married
  • A completed name registration form (SKV 7750, available at the consulate or downloadable from the Swedish Tax Agency website), signed by both parents, if the child has become a Swedish citizen automatically, or
  • A certificate of Swedish citizenship issued by the Swedish Migration Board, for a child who has become a Swedish citizen by notification or application.

Applications for coordination numbers are free of charge. There is a time-span of three months as from the allocation of the coordination number to hand in an application for passport.