Work in Sweden

You must have a work-permit in order to work in Sweden. Once you have been granted a permit, it must be entered into your passport before your arrival. Special rules apply for EU/EEA and Swiss citizens, their relatives and long-term residents in the EU.

What is required to get a work-permit?

If you want to work in Sweden, you must have an employment-offer from an employer in Sweden.

To obtain a permit, you must also:

  • Have a valid passport.
  • Have sufficient income in order to support yourself.

In addition, your employer must:

  • Have advertised the job-vacancy in Sweden and within the EU.
  • Offer terms of employment, equivalent to a Swedish collective-agreement or customary terms for the occupation or industry.
  • Give the relevant union an opportunity to state an opinion on the terms of the offer of employment.

You and the employer are responsible for showing the Swedish National Migration Board that the requirements above have been met. This is done when you comple the employee application-form, and your employer completes the employment-offer-form.

Where do you apply for a residence- and work-permit?

The main rule is that if you want to work in Sweden, you must apply for a residence- and work-permit in your country of origin or another country outside Sweden in which you reside.

How do you apply?

If you are outside Sweden, you apply electronically on the Migration Board website:
Electronic Applications

You can also apply at the Swedish Embassy/Consulate in the country where you reside. For your information, the Embassy in Bern will not accept applications after 31 December 2013. For further information, please follow the link:

You must always attach the following documents to your application:

  • Copy of your passport
  • Offer of Employment
  • Receipt showing that you have paid the application fee.

Please note:
If you are a student or a doctoral student at a university/college you do not need a work-permit in order to work during your studies.

How long is the permit valid?

If the employment is temporary, you will be issued a residence- and work-permit valid only for the same period, but for a maximum of two years at a time.

After 48 months, you will become eligible for a permanent residence-permit.