Most people have to pay a fee when applying for a residence permit to move to a close relative in Sweden. The fee will not be refunded if your application is rejected.

Appliction fees for residence permits

Adults: SEK 1,500 (EUR 152,00)
Children under 18: SEK 750 (EUR 76,00)

How to pay 

When you are applying online, you pay with a credit card or a bank card on the web.

If you are applying on a paper form, you must transfer the application fee into the bank account of the embassy and send a copy of the receipt together with your application form.

Beneficiary: Schwedische Botschaft (Embassy of Sweden)
Account Number: 266 216 101
Bank: Commerzbank
BLZ: 100 400 00
IBAN: DE82 1004 0000 0266 2161 01


Not everyone who applies has to pay a fee. The exceptions are:

  • family members of EU/EEA citizens. Swedish nationals are not included in the group "EU citizens" in this context
  • EU/EEA citizens applying for residence permits
  • Swiss citizens and their family members
  • Japanese citizens.
  • husbands, wives, cohabiting partners, registered partners and unmarried children under the age of 18 who are applying for a residence permit to live with a family member who has been granted a Swedish residence permit as a refugee, persons in need of subsidiary protection or otherwise in need of protection, due to exceptionally distressing circumstances or due to particularly distressing circumstances.
    Parents and siblings of children who have been granted a residence permit as refugees, who are in need of protection or have been granted a residence permit due to particularly distressing circumstances are not included in this exception and need to pay the fee.

Last updated: May 2017