Move to a close relative - Non EU/EEA-citizens

If you want to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need a residence permit. Other rules apply if you or the close relative in Sweden are citizens of an EU/EEA country (other than Sweden).

A close relative may for instance be a husband or wife, a common law spouse or a child (a minor).


The quickest and easiest way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online over the Internet. An online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency and is given priority, if completed in full.

In most cases you need to visit a Swedish embassy. Within the Schengen area you can choose between the embassies in Athens, Berlin, Madrid, Paris or Rome. You specify your choice in the online application. Please note, that due to an increase in the number of applications, the waiting time for an interview appointment in Berlin is long.
Swedish Migration Agency web application

Rules and required documents

Read about the rules, which documents are required and how to apply step by step in the menu on the left.

Last updated: October 2015