Basic facts

You must have been offered a job before you can obtain a work permit. Your work permit must have been granted before you leave for Sweden. If your job is for less than three months, you may also need a visa.

There are several different kinds of work permits, e.g. for artists, au pairs, berry pickers, visiting researchers, athletes and coaches. For details, read the information on the Swedish Migration Agency website. The website also describes what exemptions apply in the case of certain occupational groups working in Sweden for a limited period.

Swedish Migration Agency website

Citizens of the EU/EEA

As an EU citizen, you are entitled to work in Sweden without a work permit.

Special rules apply if you have a residence permit and long-term resident status in another EU country.

Read more about the rules for EU/EEA citizens and long-term residents of an EU country on the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Swedish Migration Agency website

Residence permit card

If you are granted a permit for more than three months, you are issued with a residence permit card. The card is proof that you possess a residence permit.

If you need a visa to enter Sweden
If you need a visa to enter Sweden, the card is ordered automatically if you have already been photographed and fingerprinted. If you have not been photographed and fingerprinted, you should visit the embassy. It can take up to four weeks for the residence permit card to be made and delivered to the embassy.

If you do not need a visa to enter Sweden
If you have been granted a residence permit and do not require a visa, you travel to Sweden and arrange for the card there. Bring a copy of the decision to show at the border. Contact the Swedish Migration Agency to have your photograph and fingerprints taken. When your residence permit card is ready it will be sent to your address in Sweden.