Frequently asked questions

Here you can find some of the most common questions asked by applicants. If you can't find the answers to your questions below, you can contact the Embassy visa section.

1. Will I or my accompanying family member have to do an interview at the Embassy?
No. If the Migration Agency wants more information you will be contacted via telephone or e-mail.

2. My wife/husband/child is planning to accompany me to Sweden and stay with me while I am working there. How should they apply?
They should apply as co-applicants to employees. They can apply at the same time as you, if you apply online on the website of the Migration Agency. If they don’t apply at the same time as you they should hand in their applications in paper form at the Embassy.

3. How do I pay the application fee?
If you apply online, you pay the application fee directly online with a VISA or Master Card. If you apply on paper, the Embassy only accepts card payment. Cash payment can only be accepted when card payment is not possible.

4. Will my application be sent to the Migration Agency in Sweden?
Yes. All applications for work permits, including co-applying family member’s applications will be sent to the Migration Agency and the decision will be made in Sweden.

5. Must I apply personally at the Embassy?
If you don’t apply online, you must hand in your application in person at the Embassy. If you apply online on the Migration Agency's website, you must still come to the Embassy to identify yourself and leave your biometrics.

6. When can I get my residence permit card?
If your application is granted, it usually takes around 2-3 weeks until you can come to the Embassy to collect your permit card. The Embassy will inform you when the card can be collected; using the contact details you have left in your application.

7. Am I supposed to make an appointment with you before I come to the Embassy to apply?
No appointment is required if you want to make an application. The opening hours for the Visa Section of the Embassy of Sweden in Beijing are:

Monday-Friday, 9.00-11.00 a.m.
The Embassy is closed on some Swedish and Chinese public holidays. These will be published on the website of the Embassy, see 'Contact'.

When applying, please take a queue number in the main hall and then wait for your turn. Anyone who wants to approach the window a second time should take a new queue number.

8. How do I get to the Embassy?
You can take buses 300/830/730 on Beijing's third ring road. Get off at the stop called Landmark Bridge (Liang Ma Qiao) and then go straight towards Nongye Zhanlan Guan. You can also take subway line 10 to Nongye Zhanlan Guan (农业展览馆, Agricultural Exhhibition Center), north exit. The street opposite the Agricultural Exhibition Center is Dongzhimenwai Dajie. The second Embassy on the north side of the street is the Embassy of Sweden.

The address to the Embassy can be found under 'Contact'.

9. What kind of documents do I need to prepare when I come to collect my residence permit card?
You should bring your passport when you come to collect your residence permit card. All applicants over 2 years old must come to the Embassy personally to collect their permit cards.

10. Where can I get an application form? What kind of documents do I need to prepare when I apply?
You can download the forms from the Embassy website, the Migration Agency's website, or pick them up at the Embassy.

For information on what documents are needed see the specific information under Required documents to the left.

11. How many copies should I provide of each document?
If you apply online, you simply scan all documents while applying. If you apply on paper form you must provide one original document with one photocopy of each document in your application, including two photocopies of the identity page of the passport and two completed and signed application forms. You must then also provide a photo for each application form.

12. Can I get my application fee back if my application is rejected?
If your application is rejected, the fee will not be refunded.

13. Is it possible to apply for a residence permit at the Norwegian Consulate in Guangzhou?
No. The Norwegian Consulate in Guangzhou only handles applications for short-term Schengen visas.

14. Can I visit other European countries using my residence permit card?
Yes, you can make trips to other countries within Schengen, but only for travelling purposes, not for the purpose of settling down.

15. Do I have to make an appointment for leaving biometrics at the Embassy?
No, you don’t need to make an appointment for leaving biometrics. You can visit the Embassy Monday-Friday 9.00-11.00. You only need to bring your passport when you come.