Most people have to pay a fee when applying for a residence permit to move to a close relative in Sweden. The fee will not be refunded if your application is rejected.

Application fees for residence permits

Adults: RMB 1 415
Children under 18: RMB 705

How to pay

If you are applying online, you pay with a credit card or a bank card on the web.

If you are applying on a paper form, you must pay the application fee by card when visiting the Embassy. Cash payment can only be accepted when card payment is not possible and has to be paid in Chinese currency.


The following persons can apply for a residence permit without having to pay a fee:

  • Husbands, wives, registered partners or common-law spouses (cohabitees) and children under the age of 18 who are applying for a residence permit on the grounds of family ties to a foreign citizen who has received a residence permit as a refugee, as a person in need of protection or due to particularly distressing circumstances. Parents and siblings of children in need of protection and living in Sweden are not covered by the exemptions.
  • Family members of EU/EEA citizens (please note that Swedes do not count as EU citizens in this context).
  • EU/EEA citizens.
  • Citizens of Switzerland and their family members.
  • Citizens of Japan.