Applying for a residence permit to move to a close relative in Sweden

If you want to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need a residence permit.

Other rules apply if you or the close relative in Sweden are citizens of an EU/EEA country (other than Sweden). A close relative may for instance be a husband or wife, a common law spouse or a child (a minor).

As of 20 July 2016,  a temporary act will limit the possibility for close relatives of persons in need of protection with temporary residence permits to immigrate to Sweden. More detailed information about these regulations is available on the Swedish Migration Agency website.


The quickest and easiest way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online over the Internet. An online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency.

If you are unable  to apply online, please ask your family members in Sweden to fill out the electronic application form, attach copies of documents and pay any application fee.

Swedish Migration Agency web application

If you are still unable or do not want to apply online, you can submit an application at the Swedish Embassy.

Rules and required documents

Read about the rules, which documents are required and how to apply step by step in the menu on the left.

Where to hand in your application

Residents of Shanghai, Jiangsu, Anhui and Zhejiang shall apply at the Consulate General of Sweden in Shanghai.

Residents of all other provinces shall apply at the Swedish Embassy in Beijing.

Residents of Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan should apply at the Consulate General of Sweden in Hong Kong.

Residents of Mongolia should apply at the Swedish Embassy in Beijing.

Check your application

On the Swedish Migration Agency's website you can check the status of your application. The following types of permits can be checked: student permits, work permits, residence permits, residence cards, and passports.

Check your application

Collecting your residence permit card

After your application has been approved and you have left biometrics, your residence permit card will be sent to the Embassy. This takes around 3 weeks. When we have received your card, an automatically generated message will be sent to the email address provided in your application. Note that the message might end up in your spam inbox. You can then come and collect your card during our opening hours: Monday – Friday, 09.00 AM – 11.00 AM.

Please bring your passport and take a queue number. Please note that all applicants over the age of 2 years must come in person to collect their residence permit card. All applicants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a legal guardian or an adult with power of attorney from the legal guardian. For information about when the Embassy is closed, please see Holidays 2016.