Visiting relatives and friends – extra documents

If you apply for a visa to visit relatives and friends, you need the documents listed below.

The forms must be completed either in Swedish or in English. Documents issued by the authorities in your country of origin are to be submitted together with a translation in Swedish or English by an authorised translator.

You must have:

  • The documents required by all visa applicants. Read more under ‘Required documents’.
  • Proof of relationship with the friend/relative:

- When visiting relatives you must hand in a notary certificate of family relationship with the inviter, legalized by the local Ministry of Foreign Affairs

- When visiting a friend you must prove your relationship with the inviter by handing in original documents, original Pictures etc.

  • Photocopies of all pages of your Household Register/Hukou (no translation needed).

Documents concerning the relative or friend in Sweden

You must have:

  • Form no. 241011 Invitation – If you wish to invite a relative or friend to visit you. The form must be completed and signed by the relative or friend in Sweden wishing to invite you.
  • A photocopy of the identity page of the inviter’s passport.
  • A photocopy of the inviter's residence permit card
  • Civic registration/family certificate (familjebevis) for the relative/friend in Sweden. Such a document may be ordered from the Swedish Tax Agency and should not be more than three months old. If the relative or friend has not been able to register with the Swedish Tax Agency due to having a residence permit valid for less than a year, then the visa applicant is not required to hand in the family certificate of the inviter.  
  • If the relative/friend lives in China but invites the applicant to travel together to Sweden you also need to submit:

- A photocopy of the inviter’s Chinese residence permit

- Proof of regular income of the inviter (bank account statement for the past six months)

- Proof of residence in Sweden or an invitation to stay with close family.

  • And – if the relative/friend will be paying for your support in Sweden – his/her pay slip, pension statement or bank account statement for the past three months.

If an applicant is under 18 years old, additional documents should be submitted as described under ‘Minors’ in the menu on the left.