Required documents

If your visa application is to be considered, you must submit the documents listed below. A number of other documents are also required, depending on what type of visit you are planning.

Check which additional documents you need in the menu on the left, under the heading for the type of visit you wish to make.

The forms must be completed either in Swedish or in English. An authorized English translation must be attached to any document in Chinese, unless otherwise specified.

You must have:

  • A completed and signed application form no. 119031, Application for Schengen Visa. Attach a photograph in passport format to the application. The photo should be taken straight from the front and should not be older than six months.
  • A passport or some other valid travel document.
    This must:
    - be valid for at least three months after your departure from the Schengen area
    - contain at least two empty pages
    - have been issued during the past ten years.
  • A photocopy of the identity page of your passport.
  • A photocopy of your national ID-card
  • If your new passport was issued within the last year you should show the old passport, and submit a photocopy of the identity page and all pages with stamps or visas in the old passport.
  • Individual medical insurance covering the cost of emergency treatment and transport home for medical reasons. Read more under ‘Medical travel insurance’.
  • Enough money to support yourself during your stay. In general, Sweden requires you to have SEK 450 (or equivalent in another currency) per day/person. The required amount may be less if for instance you have paid for board and lodging in advance or live with friends or relatives. The embassy requires proof that you can support yourself, e.g. in the form of a statement of account from your bank or a wage specification for the past three months. Deposit accounts are not accepted. If the person who is inviting you to Sweden will be paying for your support, you must show in the same way that he/she has enough money to do so. 
  • A booked return ticket (we advise you to delay payment until your visa has been granted). Please note that this is not required for visas for business purposes, short professional training, sports/culture, and visiting family/friends.

For employees the following documents are required:

- A sealed photocopy of the business license of the employing company

- A letter from the employer (in English, or in Chinese with English translation) on official paper with stamp, signature and date. The letter must clearly state: the address, telephone and e-mail address of the employing company; the name and position of the countersigning officer; the name of the applicant, position, salary and years of service; approval for leave or absence.

For retired persons the following documents are required:

- Proof of pension or other regular income

For unemployed adults the following documents are required:

If married:

- A letter of employment and income of the spouse

- A Notary Certificate of marriage, legalized by the MFA.

If single/divorced/widower:

- Any other proof of regular income

For students the following documents are required:

- A photocopy of the applicant’s student card

- An original letter of introduction from the school

  • Documents that are specifically associated with the type of visit you are planning. Check under the relevant heading in the menu on the left.

If an applicant is under 18 years old, additional documents should be submitted as described under ‘Minors’ in the menu on the left.