You pay a fee for your residence permit application. The money will not be refunded if your application is refused.

The fees vary slightly between online and paper applications. For fees for online applications, please check the Swedish Migration Agency's. For fees for paper applications, please see below. 

Fees for residence permits for studies

Adults: RMB 940
Children under 18: RMB 470

Fees for family members

Adults: RMB 940
Children under 18: RMB 470


If you apply online, you pay the fee online with a VISA card or a MasterCard.

If you submit a paper application at the Embassy or a Consulate General you will pay the fee when you submit the application. The embassy can only accept card payment.


Some applicants are exempt from paying the application fees:

  • Students at the World Maritime University in Malmö
  • Students who have been given a scholarship from Sida or another Swedish or intergovernmental organisation, such as the EU or UNICEF, for studies in Sweden. The scholarship should be paid directly from the funding body to the student. Students who receive a scholarship paid via the educational institution are not exempt from the requirement to pay the application fee. The scholarship must be money intended for living expenses and should not just cover course fees. The scholarship should be paid during the period for which the student is applying for a residence permit.

More about fees and exemptions on the Swedish Migration Agency website

Study fees

You may also be required to pay a fee for your studies. This is decided by the educational institution at which you intend to study. Please contact the school concerned for more information.