Basic facts

In general, to acquire a residence permit to study in Sweden, you must have been admitted to full-time studies in Sweden, you must have the means to support yourself financially, and you must have a passport. You must arrange for your residence permit before leaving for Sweden.

The applicable regulations depend on which type of studies you wish to pursue. For a description of the regulations, please check the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

Studying in Sweden - Swedish Migration Agency website

Unless you are an exchange student, the university or college to which you have applied may require you to pay a fee for your course/programme. A part of this fee must be paid in advance; otherwise the Swedish Migration Agency cannot process your application. If you are a fee paying student, you are therefore advised to pay the required part of the fee before you apply for a residence permit. Please contact the university or college concerned for further information.

Note: If you are interested in studying in Sweden, comprehensive information can be found on the Study in Sweden website:

Study in Sweden

Residence permit card

If you are granted a residence permit, you will receive a residence permit card. The card proves that you have a residence permit.

For information on how to get your Residence permit card, please go to the section on ‘How to apply’.

You can find general information about residence permit cards on the Swedish Migration Agency's website:

Residence permit card - Swedish Migration Agency website

Family members

Core family members (e.g. spouse/registered partner/partner who you live with and unmarried children under 18) may be granted residence permits for the same period as the student, on condition that they meet the requirements specified. Family members who are granted residence permits will also receive residence permit cards (see above). If you apply online, you can apply for your family members at the same time in your own application. For more information about how to apply for family members, please see the 'How to apply'-section in the menu on the left.

For general information on residence permits for family members of students, please see the Swedish Migration Agency's website:

Permits for students family members - Swedish Migration Agency website