Applying for a residence permit to study in Sweden

If you intend to study in Sweden for more than three months and you are not an EU citizen, you will need a residence permit.

If your intended study period is shorter than three months, you do not need a residence permit, but you may need a visa instead.

List of countries whose citizens need a visa


The quickest and easiest way to apply for a residence permit for studies in Sweden is to apply online. Online applications go directly to the Swedish Migration Agency and are given priority.

Online application on the Swedish Migration Agency website

If you cannot or do not want to apply online, you should submit a paper application at a Swedish mission abroad instead.

For more information on how and where to apply, please check the 'How to apply'-section in the menu to the left.

General information, required documents etc.

For general information about Residence permits for studies ('Basic facts'), specific information on how and where to apply, which documents you are required to submit with your application, application fees, and frequently asked questions, please see the different sections in the menu on the left.

If you are interested in studying at university/college level in Sweden, you can find comprehensive information on the Study in Sweden website:

Study in Sweden

After you have applied

For information about what happens after you have applied and how to get your residence permit card, please see the 'How to apply'-section in the menu on the left. Please remember to check the information that applies to you, depending on whether you have applied online or on paper.

If you have applied for a residence permit and your application has been refused, please check the 'How to apply'-section on the left.