Applying for a residence permit to move to a close relative in Sweden

If you want to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need a residence permit.

Other rules apply if you or the close relative in Sweden are citizens of an EU/EEA country (other than Sweden). A close relative may for instance be a husband or wife, a common law spouse or a child (a minor).


The easiest way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online over the Internet.

Swedish Migration Agency online application

If you cannot or do not want to apply online, you can submit an application document in person to the Swedish embassy. You might need to make an appointment.

Note! All appointments for interviews for family reunification are made through the Embassy and are free of charge. Please note that the Embassy has nothing to do with any individuals who offer these services for payment, and no agencies can influence the waiting time.

Rules and required documents

Read about the rules, which documents are required and how to apply step by step in the menu on the left.