Frequently Asked Questions

Below we have gathered some of the most frequently asked questions regarding visa, work permits and residence. 

Where can I apply for a visa?

You should apply at VFS Global in Bangkok. Please see their website

What kind of documents should I prepare for my application?

It differs depending on your purpose. Please see VFS Global’s website.

I am not a Thai or Burmese citizen, can I still apply in Bangkok?

Not if you are here on a tourist visa. Only if you are legally residing in Thailand with a permit.

Is it easier to get a visa if you get help from an agent?

No, we strongly advise against using agents. 

Do I need a multiple entry visa if I want to visit other Schengen countries?

No, with one entry you can transit and travel within the whole Schengen territory.

I applied last year, do I have to submit all the documents again?


How long can I stay with my visa?

You can only stay for the number of days that are stated on the sticker, and within the validity of the visa. Please note that the validity of the visa is usually 15 days longer than the amount of days you are allowed to stay, in order to offer flexibility.

What to do if I want to stay longer than 90 days?

If you want to stay longer than 90 days, you need to apply for a visitor’s permit, not a visa. The application is handed in at the Embassy, the decision is taken by the Migration Agency.

Is it possible to extend my visit in Sweden?

If something unexpected happens and you have to stay longer than 90 days, you can apply for a visitor’s permit. Please note that when you apply for a visa you undertake to leave the territory before the visa expires. Staying longer, even with a valid permit from the Migration Agency, might affect your chances of getting a new visa in the future.


When will I get my interview for residence permit?

A: You have to wait for the Migration Agency to give you instructions to contact the Embassy. For more information see their website  

How long is the processing time for residence or work permits?

You can check you application and see the time to decision at the Migration Agency’s website.

I have already applied for a residence permit, is it possible to apply for a Schengen visa while I am waiting?

If all requirements are filled, and there is no doubt that you will leave the Schengen territory before the visa expires, it is possible to apply fot a visa for a short visit while you have an open application for residence permit.

How can I know if my residence permit card has arrived to the Embassy?

We will email you when the card is available for pick up. It usually takes 3-4 weeks from the decision date.

Do I have to wait for the residence card?

Yes, you need it in order to be able to travel to Sweden.

I am from the Philippines, do I have to come to Bangkok for biometrics?

Yes, in order to get a residence permit card, you must first submit your biometrics.

When can I go to Bangkok for biometrics?

As soon as your application is registered you can submit your biometrics, you don't necessary have to wait for the interview or the decision. You can go to Bangkok for biometrics without any prior appointment but make sure to be there during the Visa Section's opening hours, see our website.