Basic facts

If you want to visit Sweden and you are not a citizen of the EU/EEA, you may need a visa. A visa gives you permission to enter and stay in Sweden for a short period of time. It is valid throughout the Schengen area, but you apply to the country that is the main destination for the journey.

Note that if you are planning to stay longer than 90 days, you need to apply for a visitor's permit. You must apply for the whole period initially, at the Embassy.

When signing your visa application, you undertake to leave the Schengen territory before the expiry of the visa. Therefore, stating that you plan to stay for maximum 90 days, then apply to prolong the stay without special reasons, might lead to rejection of future visa application.


Visas can be granted for such purposes as:

  • Business visits
  • Participation in cultural or sporting events
  • Visits to relatives and friends
  • Tourism.

You can submit your application at the earliest three months before your planned visit. Apply as far in advance as possible, especially during the peak season. Normally you get a decision within two weeks.

You can only be granted a visa for a maximum of 90 days within an 180-days period. How many days you are allowed to stay in the Schengen area, and between which dates, is stated on the permit sticker in your travel document. Please note that the amount of days you are allowed to stay may not respond exactly with the dates of validity.

If you need to travel to Sweden frequently, you may be eligble for a longer visa with multiple entries. You can still only stay in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days within each 180-days period.

A visa does not automatically mean you can enter the Schengen area. Entry checks are always made at external border points. So it is a good idea to bring along copies of the documents you submitted when applying for a visa. Border controls may result in you being denied entry.

Visits longer than 90 days

If you know when applying that you will need to stay in Sweden for more than 90 days, you need to apply for a visitor’s permit. These applications are decided by the Migration Agency. You can read more about the requirements and how to apply on their website or under "visit for longer than 90 days" in the left column.

Please make sure to apply as early as possible, especially if you need a residence card.