Applying for a work permit

If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU and wish to work in Sweden, in most cases you need a work permit.

You must have been offered a job before you can obtain a work permit. Your work permit must have been granted before you leave for Sweden.

There are several different kinds of work permits. For details, read the information on the Swedish Migration Board website.

Swedish Migration Board website

If you are interested in working in Sweden, you can also find comprehensive information at the website Working in Sweden.

Working in Sweden


The quickest and easiest way to apply for a work permit is to do so online. Applications over the internet go directly to the Swedish Migration Board and are given priority, if completed in full.

The Swedish Migration Board website provides information about what is required to obtain a work permit, as well as the possibility of completing an online application.

You can submit your application in the Schengen area, provided you are lawfully residing in the area.

Residence permit card

If you are granted a permit for more than three months, you will be issued with a residence permit card. As you are legally present in the Schengen zone and can move about freely, you should travel to Sweden and arrange for the residence permit card there. Contact the Swedish Migration Board to have your photograph and fingerprints taken.

Hence, if you apply on line and can move about freely in the Schengen zone, you do not normally have to contact or visit the embassy.

EU/EEA-citizens and long-term residents

If you are an EU citizen, you are entitled to work in Sweden without a work permit. Furthermore, special rules apply if you have a residence permit and long-term resident status in another EU country.

Read about the rules at the Swedish Migration Board website.

Swedish Migration Board website