Frequently asked questions

  • web-development-faq

    FAQ Photo: Hakan Aydos

I would like to apply for a residence permit

The best way is to submit an online application. An online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency. For more information, please visit the website of the Swedish Migration Agency:

If you are unable to submit an online application, you can apply at an Embassy or Consulate. For information on how to proceed, please visit for each Embassy or Consulate.

You can also send your application by e-mail or regular mail to Katip Celebi Sok. No:7 Kavaklidere/Ankara.

I would like to schedule an appointment time for an interview

Here ( is information about how to schedule appointments. If you have submitted an online application for a residence permit, you can schedule an appointment when the Swedish Migration Agency requested you to do so. It is important that you state your control or case number.

Am I entitled to priority from the Embassy?

No, you are not entitled to priority from the Embassy or Consulate. When you schedule an appointment you will be given the first available appointment.

I have an appointment with you, but I would like you to transfer my case to another Embassy?

If it relates to an online application, you should contact the Embassy/Consulate where you want your interview to take place. When they confirm that you have been scheduled an appointment time with them, they will arrange for your case to be transferred there.

Status of the case/progress

If you have applied online, your application will first be processed with the Swedish Migration Agency in Sweden. When you receive communication on scheduling an appointment for an interview, you should contact the Embassy or Consulate you have stated in the application. When the interview has been done, the case will be transferred to the Swedish Migration Agency again for them to make a decision. The waiting times are long as there are many applicants for permits. See the Swedish Migration Agency's website for more information.

You can check if a decision has been made regarding your case on the Swedish Migration Agency's website. your application

I have received a residence permit and would like to have a residence permit card leave fingerprints and take a photograph how do I proceed?

You can visit the Embassy to leave fingerprints and take a photograph without scheduling an appointment during our opening hours: Mondays – Thursdays, 08.30 – 11.00.

Has my residence permit card (UT card) arrived at the Embassy?

If you have provided biometrics, it takes approximately four (4) weeks from the decision to produce and deliver the UT card to the Embassy. The Embassy will contact you via e-mail or telephone when the card has arrived.  

I would like to collect my residence permit card from another Embassy or Consulate.

You should normally collect your residence permit card from the Embassy or Consulate where you took photographs and fingerprints. If you are unable to collect it there you can send an e-mail to the Embassy and request them to send the UT card to another Embassy or to the Swedish Migration Agency in Sweden where someone who has a power of attorney can collect it.

I would like to apply/have applied for a residence permit and would like to have my interview at an Embassy in another country. 

The Embassy of Sweden in Ankara will receive applications and process cases from persons who permanently and legally reside in Turkey, Syria and/or Azerbaijan.

• If you are residing in Azerbaijan you should submit your application online or at the Embassy of Sweden in Ankara. The Embassy of Sweden in Baku does not receive applications for residence permit.

•If you are a citizen of Iraq you should visit the Embassy of Sweden in Amman or Tehran.

• If you are a citizen of Syria you should visit the Embassy of Sweden in Ankara, Amman, Abu Dhabi, Cairo or Riyadh, or the Consulate General of Sweden in Istanbul.

• If you are stateless and legally resident in Syria, you can also apply at the Swedish Honorary Consulate in Beirut (see MIGRFS 08/2014).

I would like to visit Sweden and apply for a visa how should I proceed?

The quickest and easiest way is to apply for a visa at the Swedish Visa Application Centre, which is run by VFS Global. This means that you, in most of the cases, do not have to visit the Embassy in person.

How you proceed is described step-by-step at the VFS Global website.

See the website of VFS for the address, opening hours and other information: