Work in Sweden

You must have a work permit in order to work in Sweden. Once you have been granted a permit, it must be entered into your passport before your arrival.

What is required to get a work permit?

  • A person who wants to work in Sweden must have an Offer of Employment from an employer in Sweden.

The following are also required to be granted a permit:

  • The employee must have a valid passport.
  • The employee must earn enough from employment to support him/herself.
  • The terms of employment must be equivalent to those provided by a Swedish collective agreement or to customary terms and conditions for the occupation or industry.
  • The relevant union must be given the opportunity to state an opinion on the terms of employment.
  • The job vacancy must have been advertised in Sweden and the EU.

How much does it cost?

Most applicants are required to pay an application fee. The fee is SEK 2,000 for the initial application and in certain cases for an extension. When an application to extend a permit concerns the same employer or the same occupation the fee is SEK 1,000.

The fee is SEK 1,000 for family members over 18 and SEK 500 for family members under 18.

How long is the permit valid?

If the employment is temporary, the employee will be granted a residence and work permit valid only for that period and for a maximum of two years at a time.
After 48 months, the employee will be eligible for a permanent residence permit.


Online applications are submitted to the Migration board please see the link to the right for more information.

For further information about work permits in Sweden, please visit the website of the Swedish Migration Board - link to the right