Applying for a residence permit to move to a close relative in Sweden

If you want to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need a residence permit.

Other rules apply if you or the close relative in Sweden are citizens of an EU/EEA country (other than Sweden). A close relative may for instance be a husband or wife, a common law spouse or a child (a minor).

Listen to information

You can listen to information about how to apply for a residence permit here:


The quickest and easiest way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online over the Internet.

Swedish Migration Agency web application

If you cannot or do not want to apply online, you can submit an application document in person to the Consulate. You need to make an appointment.

Rules and required documents

Read about the rules, which documents are required and how to apply step by step in the menu on the left. You can also click the you-tube link below and watch a video clip in Arabic that explains the entire application process.