Visiting relatives and friends – extra documents
If you apply for a visa to visit relatives and friends, you need the documents listed below.
The forms must be completed either in Swedish or in English. Documents issued by the authorities in your country of origin are to be submitted together with a translation in Swedish or English by an authorised translator.
You must have:
- The documents required by all visa applicants. Read more under ‘Required documents’.
Upon your visit the embassy might ask you to fill out form 239011, the Family details, otherwise the embassy might need to set up another appointment to perform an interview.
Documents concerning the relative or friend in Sweden
You must also attach documents concerning the relative or friend you plan to visit in Sweden.
Documents must not be older than three months.
You must have:
- Form no. 241011: Invitation – If you wish to invite a relative or friend to visit you. You must submit the original form and it must be completed and signed by the relative or friend in Sweden wishing to invite you.
- Personbevis of the relative / friend in Sweden. Personbevis for the purpose of invitation for a visa can be ordered from the Swedish Tax Agency.
- A signed copy of the relative's/friend's identity card or passport.
- And – if the relative/friend will be paying for your support in Sweden – his/her bank statement verifying that funds for the stay are available, it has to show transactions for the last six (6) months. In general, Sweden requires you to have SEK 450 per day/person. The required amount may be less if for instance have paid for board and lodging in advance or live with friends and relatives.
Other supporting documents can be submitted to the embassy showing the urgency of the visit such as, a recent medical certificate from a doctor or midwife.