Welcome to the Embassy of Sweden in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The Ambassador of Sweden in Addis Abeba is both Ambassador to Ethiopia and Sweden’s Permanent Representative to the African Union. The Ambassador is also accredited to Djibouti where there is a Swedish Consulate.
Sweden has had relations with Ethiopia since 1866 when the first Swedish missionaries arrived. Ethiopia was also the first country that received development aid from Sweden, starting as early as 1954.
The plot of 4 650 square meters, where the Chancery and Residence stand was handed over in 1946 as a gift from the Ethiopian Government. The Residence-building was erected 1939-1941. The Embassy was first situated in the basement of the Residence. The Chancery itself was built between the years 1961 and 1962. In 1995 it was decided to integrate the offices of Sida (Swedish International Development Agency) with the Swedish Foreign Missions abroad and so in 1998 the second floor of the Chancery was ready for use. Because of the increasing demand on the migration section, the old so called visa-building was rebuilt. The 1st of July 2007 the new building was ready for use.
All buildings on the plot are administered by the Swedish National Property Board.